Wednesday, August 5, 2009

End of a very long era



Well, on July 17, exactly one year and 364 days after we put in on the market, our old house finally sold. I was glad that we were able to go back to the house one last time after the closing, to remove a few things. For so long that house has been a thorn in the flesh, a source of distress and worry that I had forgotten what a wonderful house it was. With the closing at last behind us, knowing that we were done mowing the lawn, dusting the floors, pouring money into broken appliances, I could once again appreciate all the things we loved about our old house. The lady who bought it seemed to be genuinely thrilled with it, which warmed our hearts. She has since covered the deck and front porch with flowers and plants, and in the words of Virginia Lee Burton "the house was once again taken care of and lived in."

What have we learned during our two year saga? God does indeed provide for us. We had some very timely large commission checks for Jeff, even in the midst of a recession. We had some generous loans to float us over the toughest spots. And, in the end, a buyer when we really really couldn't go on much longer.

We also learned that the best things in life really are free: there was no lack of loving, of learning and of enjoying life during our two years of tighter finances. I learned to appreciate the very basic things: we were healthy, we were together and Jeff had gainful employment.

It also taught me a lot of compassion for people who are forced for one reason or another to really live on the edge financially, to wonder each month if the money would stretch to cover the bills. I hope I never again take for granted the money to take a child to the ER for stitches, or take an overnight trip to visit family members, or replace an appliance which breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment