So far we have loaded and unloaded 9 suitcases and an equal number of backpacks almost every night of our trip and then reloaded them in the morning (we spent 4 nights in Austin, the only multiple night stay of our trip). This morning was the first time we had to pack up and check out of the hotel without Jeff's help, since he left early in the morning for work. I was really proud of my helpers as we managed the whole process in less than 30 minutes. It is really gratifying to see how helpful the older kids are learning to be. I think that that is quite possibly the most significant legacy that our homeschooling will transmit to them. When I watch the older ones helping the younger ones find toys, open suitcases, keep track of their toys, etc. I am so grateful for them having learned early in life to think beyond themseles.
When we got to the restuarant for breakfast the only seats left were at high tables with bar stools. With much trepidation I authorized them to sit down with a stern warning NOT to tip, rock or otherwise misuse the stools. Only those of you who have actually dined with the Buterclan can understand my amazement that a whole meal passed with NO bar stools overturned and NO milk spilled!!
With the logistics taken care of and Jeff busy until after lunch, we spent the morning at a fantastic childrens' museum in Wichita, KS. I highly recommend it if any of you make it out this way. Navigatin in Wichita where all the roads actually intersect, rather than the labrynth of frontage roads and U-turns that passes for a highway systme in Texas was quite a relief.
We spend our morning building dams and redirecting water, using a Cessna flight simulater, standing in a Tornado simulater, "attacking" a two-story model castle, taking shoes off and climbing in the water table (this last endeavor was Bute6, while my back was turning trying to enjoy some teachable moment with the older kids). I guess I should be impressed that she took her shoes off!!
Later on we redeavoued with Jeff and set off for the Kansas City airport, to deposit Peg on her flight home, so she can rest up for her next spring break with Jeff's brother (that one will probably be a lot more relaxing)
No comments:
Post a Comment