This is my first merit badge I have ever earned, this being my first year in Boy Scouting. This program was held at Leatherlips Yacht Club in Dublin.
On Friday night after we had set up our tent, they instructed us in the parts of the boat. The only thing relevant to this post is that there are two sails on the boats we would use: the main sail and the jib sail.
The first activity we did Saturday morning was to pass the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) Swimmers Test. This was not hard, I was one of the best swimmers there, but they passed everyone probably because they didn't want to tell anyone that they had failed. The leaders of the event paired us up by weight and it just happened that the one guy in the camp that I did not get along with was the one they matched me up with! For practice, we did triangle patterns and figure eights. the rule was that after every two laps you switched positions in the boat. Let me explain what the two positions were and what they did. The skipper was the person sitting in the back of the boat (as my partner is shown here) and his job was to steer the rudder and to bring in and let out the main sail. The crew, the person sitting in front has two jobs: to keep the boat balanced, and to bring in and let out the jib sail.
As I said my partner and I did not get along very well. He, having a little bit of experience got mad at me when I was skipper and I kept getting into Irons (which is when you are pointed directly into the wind and you cannot sail) and when I accidentally stall. He did this on Sunday mostly when we did racing and it mattered most. Apart from this, it was a weekend well spent.
Location:Leatherlips Yacht Club
No comments:
Post a Comment