One of my goals this summer in my time off from homeschooling was to educate myself more in the field of art. Up through the grade school years i was content mostly with allowing to kids to experiment with different media and hopefully be introduced to the basic elements of art (line, color and so forth). However as I enter into middle school with the older ones and I begin to think more carefully about what we want to accomplish before high school and in high school I have had to think more carefully about art. Is it just a pleasant "extra"? Is it important to keep teaching art now that we can tackle more academic subjects like Latin and algebra?
One of the huge advantages to homeschooling is the ability to try to unify my curriculum and show connections between different subjects and the curriculum I use, Tapestry of Grace, is a unified approach to the humanities in which we study art, literature, history and geography as a unit. In trying to grapple more with understanding these connections myself I tackled Saving Leonardo by Nancy Pearcey, which is a biblical perspective on the history of art and how it relates to worldview. It had definitely given me a renewed convcition of the relevance of art to our middle school curriculum. I have included a summary of the book on my book review section and would love to here others thoughts on it, especially what other homeschoolers are doing with their art studies.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment