Thursday, June 11, 2009

Flag Waving



Our Cub scout pack decorates the graves of veterans every year on Memorial Day weekend. I really like the tradition as I feel like it gives the children a chance to really reflect on the actual meaning of the holiday and to be reminded of the debt we all owe to those who defend our country. I am grateful that I live in a country where I can expect my husband to come home safely from his work, where I can take the children to play outside and not worry when I hear a plane go overhead, where death and fear are not a daily part of life. I often reflect that my family lives in safety and comfort because of the sacrifice of other families that bear long separations and anxiety and loss, to protect our home.

Every year we get a chance to meet and talk with some veterans. This year we met a man who worked as a Codebreaker during WWII and another whose ship was sunk in the Pacific by a Japanese torpedo.

No comments:

Post a Comment