From the bayous of Louisiana to the plains of Texas. 507 miles today with only one brief milkshake break! Dad should be proud of us, it was quite on "overdrive" trip. The kids actually did remarkably well for all the hours in the car and were rewarded with a swim in the brisk evening breeze when we finally arrived! Ilona spent hours playing with her Mardi Gras beads in the car -- the best $1.99 I ever spent!
I had forgotten the rugged beauty of Texas. After the squalid swampy shanties that went on for miles around New Orleans, the wide open greenery of Texas was a sight to behold. The sky and the sunshine seem to never end and the blue bonnets and Indian paintbrush are in bloom. And this is the "ugly" part of Texas -- I can't wait to take the kids to the Hill country. Tomorrow we remember the Alamo and then move on to get brisket in Austin!
No comments:
Post a Comment