Saturday, June 5, 2010

Memorial Day



I have always felt like I would like Memorial Day weekend to mean more to my children than just the opening of the pool and a cookout. I feel strongly that we enjoy amazing liberties and opportunities in our country and that we owe a real debt to those who have fought (and died) to keep our country free.

Every year our Cub Scout and Boy Scouts spend Saturday of Memorial Day weekend placing flags on the graves of veterans at a cemetary. The local Veterans organization sends representatives to the ceremony and it is really wonderful for our children to speak with men who served during World War II and Korea. I feel like it makes the holiday much more meaningful.

On Memorial Day itself a nearby suburb holds a fantastic parade, complete with veterans and a convey of WWII jeeps from a nearby military museum. There are usually some Iraq veterans as well in their Humvees. The scouts all marched in the parade, while I spectated. This year Memorial Day dawned with pouring rain which lasted through the beginning of the parade. Nevertheless I was pleased that a lot of people turned out to salute the flag and cheer the veterans in spite of the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment