Saturday, July 31, 2010

Back to school

One of my goals with this blog is to give those of you who live far away more of glimpse into our lives. It is too easy to only blog about "events" rather than the day-to-day goings on. Obviously homeschooling takes up a bigger and bigger portion of my time as I have more and more "students". I have to say that I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to stay home with my children and spend my days learning and discovering with them. This year we will stretch from Middle School with Bute1 all the way to Kindergarten with .

There are so many little twists and turns on the path that led to homeschooling. I had never even considered homeschooling until one day I was at the playground and ran into a homeschooling mom. I was pregnant with the twins at the time and laughed when she told me about homeschooling because I was going to have four children so I couldn't possibly homeschool all of them. That only shows how ignorant I was because in fact many homeschooling families are quite large. Like many people the only educational model I had in my mind was an age segregated class room where each class does something completely different. Fortunately for homeschoolers there are many wonderful multi level curricula created for families. So rather than teaching something separate to each of my children we can all focus on a few topics at different levels. This year we are tackling 20th century history. As we focus on this period of history we will also incorporate science, especially units on physics and astronomy as we cover the birth of modern aviation and the space race.

The first week of August is usually the time we select to begin schooling again. Jeff is immersed in his busiest week of work and all our summer activities have ended, so we usually hide in the A/C and get to work. We all generally prefer to save some days off for later in the fall when it cools off and we really like to wrap our fall term up by Thanksgiving in order to leave plenty of time for making Christmas presents.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment