Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beach at last

One of the things I love about vacationing on Cape Cod is that there is a defining moment to when you are really there. I remember as a child craning my neck from the backseat looking for that first glimpse of the Sagamore Bridge arching up in the air, taking us from the mainland to the Cape.




Our first day here was absolutely perfect late summer day. Just barely warm enough to get wet, but pleasant to just sit on the beach in the sun and the breeze. The kids and I hit the beach at low tide, just before 7AM when Cape Cod bay is at its most spectacular, with sandbar after sandbar stretching out in the morning light. Unfortunately it will have to live on in my memory because I did not have my camera.


The weather was perfect for our first day, sunny, but not too hot. Our kids love to build things in the sand. They dream of sand castles, sand mazes, sea walls that turn back the tide. We promised them the first day out they could play in the sand until they tired of it. And they did not tire out. Except for a few enforced meal breaks, they spent 12 hours swimming and digging in the sand. They even managed to build a sea wall so massive that we could see traces of it at the next low tide. After grilled steaks at our house, we ended the day with watched the sunset over the bay. Could not have been a more perfect day at Cape Cod.







Our next day dawned cool and threatening rain. This did not deter our erstwhile diggers. They developed a game where they would each choose a spot on the sandbar which they believed would be the last to submerge under in coming tide. They then tried to build fortifications around their own spot to win the competition. The then repeated this process for all eight sandbars, finally coming home for lunch blue with cold.
In the afternoon we went to the ocean side of Cape Cod to play tag with the crashing waves that pound up the shore at high tide. Even Bute6 squealed with delight as the ice cold water "caught" her feet and legs. Even with vigilant life guarding by three adults, I find it highly stressful to have my children that close to the pounding surf and towering waves.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Eastham, Ma

1 comment:

Audrey R said...

Nan -
Love to hear your kids are living beach life to the full. I can feel their energy radiating through your words! I do feel like every Cape Cod memory I have is entwined with Aunt Mary. Can't help missing her more when I see all your memories-in-the-making. Glad you guys are having a good week!
Audrey

Post a Comment