Sunday, November 1, 2009

Devoted Soccer Mom


I know that there are many soccer moms much more devoted than I. In fact we only participate in the recreational soccer league that plays less than a mile from our house. No travel teams, no select teams, no weekend long tournaments. Often several of our kids play at the same time on a Saturday morning, so Jeff and I are reduced to spinning in a circle in the middle of the complex trying to take in two (or more) games at once.

However, I do think I deserve some kind of award for faithfulness in attending practice. The last week of the season, Butes 3 and 4 had a practice on a damp, chilly (low 40's evening). Jeff was out of town so I loaded all the kids plus boots and umbrellas and a thermos of hot chocolate in the car and off we went. I kept telling myself "This is what adventurous moms do, it will build great memories!" By the end of the practice we were all soaked and chilled to the bone. Bute6 had sloshed hot chocolate all over herself and two of our umbrellas had blown inside out. But we stuck it out which might perhaps have been warranted if Butes 3 and 4 were training for the National team, but they are still barely aware that there is a game in progress.

To top it off we all wound up coming down with the flu the next day, so I am quite sure that shivering in the pouring rain was probably a bad bet all around. So much for being the devoted soccer mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment