Thursday, June 24, 2010

Columbia river gorge






Jeff and I had been here 18 years ago on our honeymoon,but I had forgotten how breathtaking the scenery is here. Our hotel has a semi-private patio where we ate our breakfast and drank in the views of the mountains just plunging into the blue waters of the Columbia River. Fortified with a substantial breakfast we set out to hike Beacon Rock, which rises 850 feet above sea level. With Bute6 safely strapped in a backpack,Bute5's hand firmly grasped in my sweaty palm and a very stern lecture to Butes3 and 4 about the importance of paying attention to the trail and not goofing around, we set off on a series of switchbacks up the very steep surface. The ascent went remarkably well. Even though it was only 10 AM Bute 5 declared he was ready to go to bed as soon as we were done with the hike over. The views were reward enough for our exertions however.
After safely attaining the summit discipline somehow broke down. For whatever reason because it was easier to go down fast rather than up it seemed that Butes3 and 4 were unable to remember not to skip, jump and otherwise give me panic attacks. I spent much of the descent yelling out "Slow down! Pay attention! Aeeee!" much to the annoyance I am sure of the other hikers trying to enjoy the serene beauty. I try to remind myself that someday these boys will be teenagers and I'll have to trust in their common sense when I cannot hover over the. Hopefully a lot of maturing will happen in the meantime!
After Beacon Rocks we toured the Bonneville hydroelectric dam and salmon ladder. It was really well done, with views of the turbines spinning and an underwater view of the salmon climbing the ladders.



We then spend the afternoon driving east through the Gorge until the mountains flattened out at the Dalles where there was a wonderful museum, complete with replica Lewis and Clark keelboat to play on!
Wonderful but exhausting day. We felt like we had really experienced the Gorge.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Cascade Locks, OR

No comments:

Post a Comment