I have to confess I am something of a Halloween costume snob. Not that our costumes per se are anything special. In fact they are often held together by tape and glue, rather than elaborate craftsmanship. But it is the thought that counts, to use another holiday cliche. We really
enjoy putting some creative energy into a group costume that is fun and meaningful for our whole family. True, we largely recycled what the kids had created when we attended the play of Treasure Island this summer (see June post) with the addition of Bute6 as the pirates parrot. However the kids really got into trying to have authentic touches and behaving in character. Instead of a bland "trick-or-treat" our neighbors were treated to a rousing chorus of "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!" Bute1 with the crutch is Long John Silver, ringleader of the pirates. Butes3 and 4 are his henchmen Billy Bones and Captain Flint (who actually dies before the story takes place, but his memories colors the whole story). Bute2 is Jim Hawkins, the young boy caught up in the adventure. Bute5 is Captain Smollett of the HMS Hispaniola. Bute6, of course, is the adorable parrot.
Halloween is a really fun time to connect with friends and neighbors, and I enjoy seeing others' costumes, from beautiful little ballerinas to a fierce viking who couldn't have been more than 2 feet tall! Nothing annoys me more than a surly trick-or-treater who mumbles "a bum, I guess" when I ask him what his costume (or lack thereof) represents, or the a teenager who comes from out of our neighborhood with a pillow case full of candy and doesn't even bother to make a pretense of a costume, and yet demands candy all the same...
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
1 comment:
Definitely among the best costumes in the neighborhood last night! Love how the kids get into the theme!
Post a Comment